Lamb Gozleme Recipe
These gorgeous little lamb flatbreads are heaven sent! We first tried them in Turkey where we watched a lady make them in a hut, on a beach, for 2 euros each. I stood and watched her, completely mesmerised by the speed and grace with which she created and rolled the dough, and cooked these little parcels, to perfection. I asked for her recipe and adapted it to suit my taste buds!
You can find lots of variations of this, most use yogurt but I loved hers so much that I wanted to share with you lovely lot! Happy gozleme making !
If you enjoyed reading and would like to be kept up to date with new yummy Persian recipes, please follow my page (the link is at the bottom of my home page) or my Instagram account @mylittlepersiankitchen & Facebook page @mylittlepersiankitchen or Twitter https://twitter.com/becksjonesmlpk
Prep time : 15 mins, Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4 as a starter or just me as a main!
1 Cup Plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
500gm of Ground lamb
1 Garlic clove peeled and sliced
1 White onion, diced
2 tbsp Olive oil
1tsp of turmeric
1tsp of cinnamon
Salt to taste
- First make the filling.
- Add the 1 tbsp of olive oil to a heavy bottomed pan and heat.
- Next the onions and garlic and simmer until softened.
- Pop in the minced lamb, cook slowly until all the chunks are singular and brown.
- Add in the spices, stir for around 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Now make the dough.
- Add the salt and flour to a bowl, slowly pour in lukewarm water, mixing as you go as you do not want the dough to be too wet.
- Once it has formed a dough like consistency, take out and knead for around 2 minutes.
- Cut into 4 and roll each one into a ball.
- Roll out on a well floured, flat surface, until almost translucent.
- Now, you can use a large frying pan for the next stage, however, I use a pancake griddle when I am doing mine.
- Oil the pan or griddle with the remaining oil and heat.
- Add the dough flat onto the pan.
- Spoon the ground lamb mixture over half of the dough.
- Fold the remaining half on top, fry off for 1 minute on each side. Slice and plate. Repeat!
- Serve with a home made hummus (recipe in starters), some toasted pine nuts and chopped fresh garden mint.
Ghaza Kheili Khosh Masaz!